Sunday, May 2, 2010

MMC Ingredient 3 Beets - Verdict

Here's "M"s review on MMC ingredient -3, Beets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Everyone,
First of all, I apologize for not able to get back with reviews for the last 3 MMC challenge recipes.
Shopping Experience:
Finally I was able to get my hands at trying Rajee’s Beets soufflé last weekend. Just reading the recipe and looking at the words ramekins, baking etc did make me less enthusiastic about trying this one out.
In terms of shopping for ingredients, well I guess it wasn’t that difficult to find most of the ingredients except for ramekins. With Rajee’s help I was able to find that, and finally got ready to try the recipe out.
The Cooking Experience:
The authentic side in me wanted to try this recipe with fresh beets, rather than canned ones. It didn’t take much time to peel the beetroot off and cook it. I would say may be around 20 minutes in all. Putting the remaining things together to get the final mixture took another 10 minutes. However, I did make one change to this recipe; I did not want to use eggs. Hence Rajee suggested using flax meal instead.
The Verdict:
Now coming to the end product, it took seriously a long amount of time to get the baking done. I am not sure whether it is because of my oven or the flax meal, but it took me around 90 minutes to get to the point which Rajee mentioned in her blog.
The soufflé texture for me was very odd; again it could be because of the lack of eggs. But that didn’t stop my friends from licking it out clean. And I am not very sure about the taste of beet in the soufflé as well. Here are my final scores for this challenge. With respect to ease of cooking, the dish was fairly simple to make, and hence I can give 6 out of 6 for that. Regarding the health factor, well I used fat free cream cheese and for a dessert this dish is quite healthy and hence 4 out of 4. For uniqueness, well making a soufflé with beets in itself is good enough to earn full points and hence 2 out of 2. And last, regarding the taste, well taking into consideration the change I made (absence of eggs) and oven fluctuations, I would like to give a 5 out of 8 for this recipe.
I guess the final score then is 6+4+2+5 = 17/20.
Conclusion:
Will meet you again at Rajee’s blog with the next MMC review. Thank you.

3 comments:

Aruna Manikandan said...

first time here...
U have a wonderful space.. love to follow u...
Check my blog when u find time!!

ArunaManikandan
http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogpsot.com

Sushma Mallya said...

Nicely written, loved your beet souffle...different and nice

Namitha said...

beet souffle sounds great...