Friday, May 21, 2010

Coconut Milk Pulao (Pilaf) - Rice Cooker method

Coconut milk pilaf/pulao is yet another of my favorite one pot meal. This is a sure shot crowd pleaser and I make it for potlucks or parties. This is one of the recipes that I never had tasted when I was growing up - my mom very rarely made dishes using coconut milk. On the other hand my husband loves this dish. It's is one of his favorite "Mom's dish". I havent had a chance to taste my MIL's coconut biryani yet, so am not sure how the traditional recipe tastes like. But my husband assures me that mine taste really good and pretty close to what his mom makes. I think that's a good enough compliment for a dish I havent even tasted before I actually started making it myself.


Notes:

  1. Soak basmati rice in generous quantities of salted water. This helps to keep the rice white as well as make sure the rice doesnt turn sticky on cooking.
  2. Adjust the spices according to your tastes. Following measurements give a mildly flavored biryani.
  3. Adjust green chilies according to the heat level you'd prefer.
  4. I used rice cooker but am sure microwave or pressure cooker methods should work fine as well.
  5. 2 cups liquid (1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water) was just sufficient to get my rice well cooked. But if you feel the need for more water, do so at the very end if the rice is still under cooked.
Ingredients
2 cups basmati rice (see notes)
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup diced carrots and peas (frozen or fresh)
1 tsp cumin (Jeera)
5 cloves
4 cardamom
1 bay leaf
4-6 green chilies (or as per taste)
1 tsp ginger, minced
8-10 Cashews, halved
1 tbsp butter or oil
Salt

Method
  1. Soak rice in salted water for 15-30 minutes.
  2. In a saute pan heat oil/butter. Add all the ingredients from cumin to cashews. Let the cashews turn light brown.
  3. Add onions, saute it for 2 minutes or just until onions turn translucent.
  4. Drain rice. Add this to the rice cooker. Add sauteed vegetables and 2 cups of water.
  5. Switch the rice cooker on and let it cook. Add salt just before the rice is completely done. Stir.
  6. Garnish with cilantro.
  7. Serve with a spicy korma or curry.
Enjoy !!

11 comments:

FH said...

I bought a small Rice cooker last month, love it how simple it is to make rice now. Must try Pulao. Looks great.

Unknown said...

That is one yummy looking pulao Rajee and I guess you were talking about this when you said, you have one in drafts :)

Usha said...

Wow, this sounds like a very flavorful and delicious pulao, would love to try this !

Preeti Kashyap said...

Looks super yumm!

Sushma Mallya said...

I love coconut rice and your version is simply delicious..and nice presentation too...

Panchpakwan said...

Pulao looks delicious. Nice way of making in rice cooker dear.

Hayley said...

Hi Rajee
Lovely and aromatic rice dish...I too make slightly diffrent way,,I'll try soon as I've got to finish my leftover coconut milk after making lots of juices..

Namitha said...

I love coconut rice..this pulao looks inviting

Padmajha said...

Looks so delicious Rajee..

Malar Gandhi said...

Perfect pulav, love this dish so much:)

Padhu Sankar said...

Pulav looks yummy!!