Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Moong Dal Dosa (Yellow Split Pea Crepes)

When I started blogging almost 2 years ago, I didn't realize what I was getting into. All I knew was I needed a place to document my recipes and so I started out with using Google documents. Then someone suggested giving blogging a shot. I wasn't sure if I was up for it, both time wise and also doling out new/interesting recipes every so often. At some point my husband managed to convince me to give it a shot and said I might even start enjoying it. He even offered to be my critic as well as the editor and that was an offer I couldn't refuse :-) Looking back, I am glad he said what he said for I think this is one of the best hobbies I have taken up in recent times. I sure haven't been as regular as I would like to be. In fact, I have had times where I slacked off, felt guilty for not giving enough attention to blogging. But hey, its supposed to be a hobby and not a chore. So I figured its ok for me to blog as and when I like and how much ever I like.


As much as I love blogging, it is still work - getting the recipe right, making sure I remember the measurements, take good pictures and finally put it down in words. I really admire a lot of my fellow bloggers who blog in spite of a busy schedule (with kids, full-time jobs just to mention a few) and blog they do very regularly. So hats off to all you guys out there and I should say you guys are a big motivation. I am ever so grateful to my readers who actually take time to go through my ramblings and leave their wonderful comments. And to see "# comments to be moderated" in my dashboard really makes my day and makes me want to blog more !! To add yet another dimension to my blog, I am grateful that my friend stepped forward to start MMC challenge. Because of him I have experimented with some interesting ingredient combinations and he's been kind enough to spend his time testing my recipes and giving his feedback. I am hoping we will continue this little venture of ours and make it even more interesting.

I think I got nostalgic because it will be 2 yrs this June since I started blogging. That probably is the reason for my senti acknowledgment today !! Guess I should stop rambling now and jump to my recipe of the day. The following recipe is one of the dosa varieties and relatively quick cooking one. I love dosa and idlis in any form more so now than when I was growing up. I especially love the instant varieties where I don't have to plan ahead. Moong dal dosa is a pretty simple, relatively quick cooking dinner and a very healthful one as well. Split moong dal soaks pretty fast when compared to the whole green moong that we use to make pesarattu. Also, I find moong dal dosa lighter than the regular adai where I use 3 different type of lentils. Served with chutney and yogurt, this makes a complete and a satisfying meal.

Note:
  1. I soak moong dal for 3-4 hrs, but I have gotten away with soaking it for as little as 2 hrs.
  2. I make the batter pretty thick. This way I can use the batter to make dosa or fry it in oil to make lentil fritters (similar to vada).
  3. For dosa: I take a part of it out and dilute the batter to a dosa/pancake consistency.
  4. For fritters: Add chopped onions and drop a spoon full into an appam pan or ebelskiver pan.

Ingredients:
3 cups moong dal, split
1 cup rice flour
4 green chillies (or to taste)
1 tsp coarsely chopped ginger
Water as required
Salt to taste

Method:
  1. Soak moong dal for 3-4 hours.
  2. Grind the moong dal with green chillies and ginger to a smooth paste. Add just enough water to facilitate the grinding process.
  3. Add the rice flour to this mixture. Mix well by hand or in the food processor.
  4. For dosa, dilute the batter with enough water to get a pancake/dosa batter consistency.
  5. Take a ladle full of the batter and spread it into a thin circle on a hot griddle.
  6. Drizzle a few drops of oil along the edges. Let it cook till the bottom browns.
  7. Flip, cook for another 30 seconds or so.
  8. Remove it on to a plate.
  9. Serve with chutney and yogurt.

Enjoy !!

10 comments:

Vaishali said...

I love moong dal dosas-- they're nutritious and delicious, and what more can one ask for? Yours have turned out beautifully.

Sushma Mallya said...

I have never tried moong dal dosa, but looks good & seems delicious with that yummy chutney..lovely clicks rajee.. & have a lovely weekend,take care

FH said...

Lot of ways to utilize good old Moong dal, dosa looks great.

Unknown said...

Love both the options of making it into dosa or fritters and I do exactly the same thing :)

Usha said...

These moong dhal dosas look lovely, and they are so nutritious !

Namitha said...

Like this dosa...my hubby's fav one :-) they look so perfect and yumm

Uma said...

looks super yummy :)

Sunitha said...

Awesome.. love pesarattu.. its been a long time since I made some but now I have go to

Sayali said...

HI der,
Even i made a moong dal dosa and you would love that as well...great recipes and blog

Nupur said...

Your dosa looks wonderful! I am always looking for new dosa variations to try and this is next on my list.