Tuesday, March 16, 2010

White Beans and Chickpeas Burger


MMC Challenge is on a brief hiatus until Mid-April as our judge is going back home on an important mission :-) In the meantime I thought its a good idea for me to get back to my usual blogging. This week's recipe is one version of the vegetarian burger I make at home. I normally make burger with veggies and any type of beans that I have on hand. I like my burger without too many toppings or condiments. So the best way for me to incorporate veggies is to use them up to make my burger. This particular version uses white beans and chickpeas with tahini paste to give it a Middle-Eastern flair or falafel like taste. Following is just a method, you can experiment with any type of beans/veggie combination along with fresh or dried herbs that you have on hand.

Note:

  1. I have used canned beans here since I didn't plan ahead to soak the beans. If you have dried beans soak it in water overnight and then boil until the beans are cooked.
  2. I normally do not like to add bread crumbs, eggs or flour in my burger and hence my burgers turn out softer than the normal frozen burger that you'd normally get in the stores.
  3. Having said that, feel free to add any of the above ingredient if you dont like a soft burger.
  4. I have used stove top method to cook the burger but am sure using an oven would also work fine.
Ingredients:
11/2 cups White beans/Cannellini beans (boiled or canned)
11/2 cups garbanzo beans (boiled or canned)
1 clove garlic
1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup fresh mint leaves
3 tsp red chili flakes
2 tsp cumin powder
11/2 tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste

Method:

  1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add garlic, onions and carrots.
  2. Saute until the carrots are tender.
  3. Add chili flakes, cumin powder and saute lightly.
  4. Now add the mint leaves and turn off the heat.
  5. In a food processor with the steel blade attachment, add the beans and the cooked mixture.
  6. Run the food processor just until the mixture blends well (take care not to make it into a smooth paste).
  7. Make half an inch patties and refrigerate for few hours.
  8. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a skillet and brown the burgers.
  9. Serve on a english muffin, hamburger bun or multigrain bread with onions, tomatoes or any other topping of your choice.
This is my entry to Susan's event MLLA-21 guest hosted by Super Chef of Mirch Masala blog.

Enjoy !!

6 comments:

Sarah Naveen said...

nice recipe..healthy and yummy!!

Namitha said...

that looks so perfect..such a healthy and yumm burger..thanks for sharing

Simplyfood said...

These burgers sound really healthy and delicious.Will book mark and definately try.My 1st visit here I like your recipe collection.

Malar Gandhi said...

Wonderful burger...

Meena said...

love this unique burger...will try it...

R said...

looks healthy and tasty!!