Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cracked Wheat Idli

A recent addition to my cook book collection is Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India by Chandra Padmanabhan. It has some really good pictures and I can't resist a cookbook with pretty pictures :-) This book has a wonderful collection of South Indian recipes, most of them traditional but a few that were very new to me. I hope to try them in the near future and post them soon in my blog. Idli is a staple in most Tamil (as in Tamilnadu) homes and Ms. Padmanabhan dedicates a whole section of the book to idlis! I have been eyeing rava (semolina) idli for a long time having come across quite a few in the blog world. So I decided to make rava idli for dinner from the recipe in the book except that I substituted rava with cracked wheat and tweaked the recipe to suit our taste. I love the taste and texture of cracked wheat - not to mention the whole lot of goodness packed in it. These idlis turned out to be very soft and yummy.... Guess this will be added on to my oft-repeated-recipe collection. Bulgur is a good substitute too and for people who are wondering isnt bulgur and cracked wheat the same, do read this very interesting article.

Ingredients:
11/2 cups cracked wheat
1/2 cup rava
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp chopped/ground ginger
5-6 cashews halved or quartered (optional)
2 tsp chana dal
1 tsp split urad dal
2 tsp jeera
2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp asafoetida
few curry leaves
Salt to taste
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
3 cups buttermilk or more if required
2 tsp oil

Method:
  1. Mix cracked wheat, rava and soda together.
  2. Heat oil in a pan, add chana dal, urad dal, cashew, jeera and mustard. When they crackle add chillies, ginger, asafoetida and curry leaves.
  3. Remove from the stove and add this to the wheat/rava mixture.
  4. Add buttermilk, salt, pepper and mix well until a smooth batter is obtained. Consistency should be similar to idli batter.
  5. Grease idli plates and fill it with the batter. Steam for 10-15 min until a knife/toothpick inserted at the center of the idlis comes out clean.
I served the idlis with tomato korma though idili powder or chutney will work very well. I hope to post the recipe for tomato korma soon :-)

This will be my entry to Tasty Palettes "JFI - OCT '08 - Whole Grains".

And here is my first blog award presented by Easy Crafts of Simple Indian Food blog, yay :-) Thanks a lot Easy Crafts for the encouragement. I appreciate it. As per the rules of this award, you are to pass this award to at least 7 other blogs whose content/design you find brilliant. I am guilty of being a silent visitor sometime and I use this opportunity to let my blogger friends know how much I appreciate their work.

I present this award to:

Asha of Foodie's Hope
Manasi of A Cook at Heart

Srivalli of Cooking 4 all Seasons
Usha of
Veg Inspirations
Kitchen Flavours
Meeta of
Whats for Lunch Honey
Vaishali of
Holy Cow

15 comments:

FH said...

Rajee, thank you so much for your appreciation and award. Enjoy your's too. Yes, I am on a break now, check the comments once a day, hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long!:))

Enjoy blogging, I will blog roll you too. See you when I start blogging again. Hugs.

FH said...

Oh, forgot to tell you that I loved the wheat idlis and Puliyogare too, will try, thanks.

Vaishali said...

Rajee, The rava idli looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe! I have eaten it in restaurants but never tried making it at home.
Thanks also for the award- that's very kind of you, and I truly appreciate it. I'm glad to have found your blog and will add you to my blogroll.

lubnakarim06 said...

Thank u dear for the award. Congrats to u for the award. Idli's look gr8 and nice entry to the event.

anudivya said...

Nice entry to the event... never would have thought of making cracked wheat idlis... looks very healthy!

Rajee Mani said...

Thanks Asha & Vaishali for including me in the blog roll.

Thanks Kitchen flavours and Divya.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

thank you very much for your lovely award!

ST said...

Cracked wheat idlis look healthy ,awesome and very unique.Its new for me. Will try now.

Usha said...

Hey Rajee,the cracked wheat idli is a great idea,so healthy......Congratulations on your award and thank you so much for passing it on to me

Usha said...

Just added your blog to my blogroll:)

Manasi said...

Thank U so much Rajee! U made my day!
Hey, I'm a fan of Dakshin too! I do take a shortcut now n then with the longish procedure, but I like it!
I got it from the lib. and made lots of dishes but like a Duh! did not write them down and now the lib. has sealed a section for repairs and my recipes are stagnating in the darft folder :((
HopeI can get it soon!

Vijitha said...

hiyah!! this is my first time here... Quite an innovative attempt..wheat idly is new to me..shall try it soemtime soon...
I am quite new to this blogsphere...jus popped in to say a hi!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz a lovely wholesome dish..

Sagari said...

yumm healthy idlis

EC said...

Congrats on the award and a healthy idli variety..we too make these with veggies